Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Me, lazy?

Scenes from real life*

Abby: (thinking) Wow... I just washed tons of dishes. Someone should come dry them.
(waits, staring at stack. No one comes)
Abby: (thinking) Come ON! Now I have to dry them myself?!
(dries them, all the while privately whining about how unfair it is)

Abby: (thinking) This is a great book,
(looks up from couch and bag of pretzels and sees brothers in a headlock, while sisters are in the background studying for tests and Mother trying to cook dinner with a screaming baby in her arms)
Abby: (thinking) Hmm... maybe I should help... actually I won't! I already washed tons of dishes AND even put some laundry in the washer. So I've done enough already.
(goes back to book and stuffs some more pretzels in)


I wish I could be less lazy. As I know from experience, it's extremely hard to get myself to do things. I am a slacker. Do you have any tips on how you became more diligent and hard-working?
Here are some verses I found on biblegateway.com (the best search site ever!) on diligence and hard-working-ness:

Lazy hands make for poverty,
   but diligent hands bring wealth.
Proverbs 10:4

Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.
1 Timothy 4:15

 If it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
Romans 12:8

So take diligent heed to yourselves to love the LORD your God
Joshua 23:11

Greet Tryphena and Tryphosa, those women who work hard in the Lord. Greet my dear friend Persis, another woman who has worked very hard in the Lord.
Romans 16:12

We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it...1 Corinthians 4:12

If you skipped those verses, go diligently back and read them. :) So, I think diligence and hardworkingness  should be important character qualities to build. They go hand in hand with discipline (another important quality). If you don't have diligence, how do you get things done? If you're not working hard, how good an example can you set for the Lord? Your thoughts?

Grace be with you,

Abby :D







*except perhaps with a slight dramatization... :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem! Since I'm home schooled and also have two little brothers constantly bugging my mom... it get's tough! Of coarse I'm stuck with chores all morning. I feel like I've done enough, but NO! apparently I haven't babysat in awhile. It gets to me that maybe I'm just really lazy :)) Wow... I just realized how much this probably didn't make since.. ??? Hahahahaha!!!

Mary said...

eek, i have a problem with laziness. i have to remind myself that it's a sin and i'm being selfish and what's fifteen minutes to do some chore that i'd otherwise spend wasting time on the computer? ;)

much love,
guin